Helping Albertans achieve their dreams by turning the complex world of banking into brilliantly simple solutions. That’s ATB. Is that you?
Search Engine Optimization Analyst
Channel 21 – ATB Financial
“And will you succeed? Yes you will indeed! (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)” – Dr. Seuss
While creativity is about thinking differently, it’s also not just about ‘design’ - your passion for trends, numbers, data and constant improvement is a key driver to the success of every piece of content on the web. As the Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Analyst at ATB’s internal award-winning agency, Channel 21, we’re looking for a self-motivated SEO expert who can think, collaborate and do, someone who’s the whole SEO package; with a zest for the web and analytics, an aptitude for the tools of the trade and the tricks and nuances of the search engines that power it.
You’re an integral part of a larger team (the Internal Agency, Marketing & Communications, and Reputation & Brand) that includes everything from Junior and Senior Designers, Art Directors, Copywriters, Animators, Videographers and external resources like Marketing Managers and Corporate Communications. There’s some great thinking—and creating—to do here, and some amazing projects to be involved in. You game?
You will be responsible for ensuring that our online content can be found and viewed by potential and current customers. You are a part of the overall Marketing (Reputation & Brand) team and are an important part in the planning of our marketing campaigns and day-to-day content marketing. With your technical expertise, you are able to provide insight into search engine optimization and the user experience with digital content; and are able to relate this information to marketing managers to help shape the marketing campaign's success.
After the parameters of a marketing campaign have been established, you will gather data about the websites, blogs, social media, and e-commerce pages to determine how visible they are to the target customer and how useful the digital resources are. If digital content is found to be lacking for the target customer, you will alter the content to increase customer utility; if a webpage has low visibility, you will reorganize and/or change the content of the page to make the page more visible in search engine results. This could be done by the Analyst, or as a part of a larger design and CX team.
Further, to ensure that the digital content ecosystem is easily found through customer use of search engines, you must keep abreast of changes in the search engine optimization field and stay educated on best practices.
Identify and Resolve Technical SEO Issues
- Set-up Google Search Console/Bing Webmaster Tools accounts for client websites, and monitor them regularly for crawling and indexing issues. Issues identified will be surfaced to the Digital Marketing Lead, documented for client communication/follow-up
- Be aware of critical search metric and dimension data to define success within ATB framework
- Have a solid knowledge of the search engine spidering, crawling and indexing process, while understanding the importance of XML sitemaps, robots.txt files and 301 redirects to those processes
- Have a solid knowledge of web server function, including common server error codes (e.g. 404)
- Have a strong familiarity with the web development process, including the important points at which SEO must be considered
- Demonstrate understanding of how duplicate content and page load speed affects SEO by advising clients on best practices for successful implementation and improvement
Build and Manage
- Set-up standard analytic tracking using Google Tag Manager (GTM) and Google Analytics (GA) for web platforms and apps
- Build out custom tracking strategies with GTM as required
- Build useful, comprehensive and insightful dashboards
- Manage GA profiles (user access/training, view configuration, data cleanliness, housekeeping)
Monitor, Analyze and Report on SEO Performance
- Monitor client sites regularly for technical crawl issues and other relevant errors using a variety of SEO tools and expertise
- Analyze backlinks to client and competitor sites to identify outdated links, 404s, incorrect redirects, or opportunities for competitive improvement
- Provide insightful analyses and commentary addressing KPI trends and progress. Provide actionable recommendations aimed at addressing gaps in performance, leveraging current strengths, and building on past successes to take advantage of recognized opportunities
- Prepare periodic reports (weekly/monthly/quarterly, as appropriate to the project) that surface important trends and campaign progress in relevant KPIs, using properly formatted charts, tables, and narratives as appropriate
- Have working knowledge of spreadsheets (Excel, Numbers, Sheets), including the ability to perform pivot table-like functions and VLOOKUPs (understanding of INDEX/MATCH is a plus)
Audit Websites for SEO Issues
- Using a variety of tools (including Screaming Frog, FireBug/Chrome Developer Tools, and others), inspect websites for on-page, off-page and technical issues.
- Support our paid advertising/SEM partner as needed
- Use a variety of tools, competitive research and other methods to discover optimal keyword targets appropriate to the business needs of the client
- Determine the persona of the ideal target for each client, and align SEO strategies and tactics accordingly
- Determine the metrics that are most important/relevant to each client, and align SEO strategies and tactics to maximize impact (and ROI) within the budget available
Consult on Site-Level SEO Strategies
- Apply, and be able to explain, the concept of content siloing to client website organization
- Conduct content gap analyses and develop content creation strategies/roadmaps.
- Apply, and be able to explain, SEO best practices for site navigation, breadcrumbing, internal links (including anchor text optimization), and HTML sitemaps to client websites
- Apply, and be able to explain, SEO best practices for domain, sub-domain and directory structure to client websites
Conduct Page-Level Optimization
- Execute optimization of webpages for clients’ target keywords using Pure Visibility’s format
- Demonstrate the importance of linear keyword distribution and reading level to page-level optimization
- Clearly convey campaign progress, priorities, issues, concerns, new strategy ideas, etc. to other Team Members in Channel 21 as well as clients
- Prepare project deliverables with a high-level of quality (in terms of both substance, format, and understandability). Documents will be accurate, grammatical, easy to read, and spell-checked
- Surface project/campaign issues to Digital Marketing Lead in a timely manner, in order to provide highly responsive service to the client
- Prepare for, attend, and contribute to internal and client-facing project meetings
- Prepare for, attend, and contribute to Digital Marketing and Agency team meetings
As the ideal candidate you possess:
- Communicate complex SEO strategies to a wide range of stakeholders
- Measure the success of SEO campaigns with use of web analytics and SEO campaign management tools
- Analyze large amounts of data from a variety of sources
- Prepare executive-ready reporting of SEO campaign performance
- Substantial experience with the web development process
- Sound technical understanding of how search engines, web servers and user agents work; Experience using SEO campaign management software (such as BrightEdge, SEMRush, Moz)
- A track record of successful SEO program execution in both B2B and B2C settings, particularly with a lead generation focus
- Up-to-date understanding of organic search trends, including search engine algorithm changes, the latest tools and technologies
- Excellent presentation, communication, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Post-secondary accreditation in Marketing or relevant technical discipline and 2-4 years of field experience
As for us, we’re the biggest Alberta financial institution, and we have more than 5,000 employees, yet we’re literally the kind of place where you can talk about voice and tone with the CEO. (You’ll like him.) Our entire mandate is about transforming our industry, and we’re a company that is focused on telling stories. We’re on every Best Employer in Canada list that counts, because we’ve taken the notion of putting our employees first, elevated it out of the realm of corporate cliché, and made it real.
So what can ATB Financial offer you? Imagine paying less for your everyday banking, mortgages, loans and investments. Throw in an excellent benefits and pension package, opportunities for career advancement, and a financial institution that’s leading the way in change – now you’re talking about a career with a company that allows you to grow. As an award-winning employer-of-choice – we have the best of the best working for Albertans. Sound like a team you want to be a part of?
Advancement. Fun. Rewards… We get it.
To learn more visit atb.com.
To read our employer reviews visit our Glassdoor page.
Online applications are preferred. ATB Financial is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, due to the high number of resumes we receive, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please click the following link for information on communities where ATB thrives.