Not your everyday director of photography position. Challenging and fast moving, yet friendly and supportive: a career practicing your art that you will look forward to every day. Work with incredibly talented artists in an exciting environment where every month is different.
- Part time and/or full time director of photography with specialized focus on artistic lighting
- Other Positions: We are also hiring for video editor, production designer, 3D animators, sound engineers, actors, and more). You may apply for multiple positions separately. If you know someone in any of these areas, please do them a quick and friendly favour by letting them know about this posting.
- Position is permanent and steady for both the full time position and the part time position.
- Contract position would involved several days per month steady.
- Flexible hours (for example: choose to start your day between 6am and 10am, work late some days and shorter on others).
- 85% internal projects (for multiple product lines), 15% client projects.
- Focus on lighting during production combined with appropriate pre-production planning
- You will be assisted by a full-time in-house team including people who serve as special effects lighting experts, greenscreen experts, lighting technician, gaffers, and grips as needed.
- Your focus will be on painting with light to create mood, convey emotion, and captivate the audience.
- Position does not require particular equipment handling (although we can optionally make use of such secondary talents if you have them).
- Focus on achieving noticeably remarkable and portfolio-worthy results, with only some projects that simply need to be done in a short timeframe (we aim to win awards for our work).
- The same variety as working at an agency, but without the cutting corners to deliver too quickly.
- Engage in constructive debate to challenge your artistic choices; standing up for your choices, while being willing to use respectful criticism, with or without the sugar coating, to iterate into even better designs.
- Gain experience with numerous video types: entertainment videos (like Sci-Fi short stories), animated explainer videos, YouTube commercials, infographic videos, mixing live action with 3D, and short snippits for social media.
- Collaborating with director, camera artist, camera operators, focus pullers, and other production staff.
- Does not involve constant tight deadlines nor overtime that lead to results you are not proud of; there is pressure but it is manageable and work has steady hours.
- Does not involve TV broadcasting (low resolutions, restrictive timings).
- Passionate about video storytelling and lighting specifically
- Can dig deep for stunning results
- Superb understanding of factors that affect perception of quality and engagement of viewers
- Solid sense of aesthetic, mood, and impact of lighting
- Attention to detail
- Takes pride in work
- No specific requirements for formal education or industry experience. We evaluate each applicant based on merit and potential rather than formalities, however a portfolio is required.
Nice To Have:
- Experience in a wide variety of settings (larger budget cinema films, small teams as well)
About The Work Environment:
- Friendly, non-threatening, and non-political environment.
- Mid-sized company but retaining the speed and flexibility of a smaller company.
- We are a great environment for both outgoing people and those who are very shy and introverted (applicable to non-client facing positions).
- We strive to have every employee sitting near a window for natural light and to have plenty of plants throughout the office; we care about employee health.
- Free onsite massage therapy.
- Private nap rooms for isolated thinking time or for taking a nap if you didn’t sleep well last night.
- Atrium to enjoy the sun during lunch.
- Social events worth remembering (fencing competitions, curling, video game or board game parties, coding competitions, commando combat training, robotics club coming soon, etc).
- An example of our culture: Lunch together is in a very comfy sofa room, and even the quiet types are comfortable there.
- Unlimited access to pillage our kitchens for caffeine, sugar, healthy snacks, soups, and more 🙂
- Additional perks that are cost-shared like motorized sit-stand desks.
- Task focused: everyone in the company heavily uses centralized to-do lists to stay organized, prioritize, and coordinate.
- Fast paced
- Consistent work/life balance: mandatory overtime is very rare.
About The Company:
- Pleasant Solutions is a dynamic company headquartered in Edmonton, a large satellite office in Toronto/Vancouver, and small satellite offices across Canada and the USA (including in Calgary, Ottawa, Saskatoon, New York, Denver, Boston, etc)
- Silicon Valley kind of excitement and growth potential.
- Fast growth: One of the 200 fastest growing technology companies in North America with 955% growth over 5 years (based on growth rates in published rankings of the 2014 Profit 500 and 2013 Deloitte Technology Fast 500). Canadian Profit Guide ranked us #88 out of 500 for fast growth in Canada, announced in Sept 2015.
- Stable and well diversified.
- Full of smart and passionate people whom you can learn from.
- Very low employee turn-over rate, attesting to the value of working here.
- We do a mix of in-house product development, software development services, and IT services. For consulting, we build both large and small custom software for clients who need an internal system or are commercializing an idea. Our in-house products include the high-security Pleasant Password Server, an innovative tool that lets non-technical people build their own web applications using spreadsheets, an event ticketing system, and other business software.
- An innovative software producer with an aim of achieving results in creative ways.
- We develop high quality software you will take pride in. Our company name says it all.
- Socially conscious (for example, we pay for employees to sponsor hundreds of WorldVision children).
- What do you have to lose by exploring the possibility? Applying does not take long and we keep your application confidential (never disclosed to existing employer).
- Apply online today at https://pleasantsolutions.com/careers
- Even if you don't have your resume updated or ready to go, apply anyways, we want to hear from you!
- Please do not apply via email, apply only by visiting the https://pleasantsolutions.com/careers site.
- director of photography
- artistic lighting expert
- film director
- cinema director
- studio director
- film producer
- assistant director
- show runner
- lead video producer
- video director
- film studio
- cinema studio
- video commercial production
- video colorist
- creative director
- creative lead
- artistic lighting experts
- film directors
- cinema directors
- studio directors
- film producers
- assistant directors
- show runners
- lead video producers
- video directors
- film studios
- cinema studios
- video commercial productions
- video colorists
- creative directors
- creative leads