Program Services 3
Alberta Labour, Calgary / Edmonton. The Government of Alberta is committed to a diverse and inclusive public service that reflects the population we serve to best meet the needs of Albertans. Consider joining a team where diversity, inclusion and innovation are valued and supported. For more information on diversity and inclusion, please visit: https://www.alberta.ca/diversity-inclusion-policy.aspx
Each day in Alberta, more than two million people go to work and fuel Alberta's economic engine. The Ministry of Labour provides supports to meet the needs of both employees and employers. Our work focuses on building a skilled workforce for the jobs of today as well as tomorrow, and maintaining safe, fair and healthy workplaces.
The Safe, Fair and Healthy Workplaces division provides legislation, policy development, and program delivery to ensure Alberta's workplaces are safe, fair, and healthy. Working with employers, labour associations, safety associations, and workers directly, this division ensures compliance with several pieces of workplace-related legislation.
To learn more about the ministry, please click here: http://work.alberta.ca/
The Business Integration (BI) Training team is in the process of transforming the training system for Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) staff within the Safe, Fair and Healthy Workplaces division. To support this transformation, we need two Instructional Design specialists to develop new curriculum that effectively supports OHS program delivery. Reporting to the Manager, Training and Development, the position will function as a member of the Training and Development team in Business Integration (BI) working closely with OHS staff. The Instructional Design Specialist plays a significant role in developing training products that align with adult education principles and result in competent, credible, and confident OHS staff.
You are an energetic and engaging self-starter who is looking for an opportunity to apply instructional design best practices in the development and implementation of high quality curriculum that will meet Ministry and stakeholder needs and produce the required competencies for service delivery. In order to develop effective programs, the Instructional Design Specialist actively explores new approaches, tools and technologies that can enhance the efficiency, effectiveness and validity of training. The Instructional Design Specialist works with team members to deploy training options via the learning management system (LMS). As needed, they also update and maintain training records within the LMS. The position is a key resource to OHS staff members and subject matter experts to ensure that training concepts, andragogy, and standards are aligned with adult learning principles and the mandate of SFHW.
The position must create and establish positive working relationships with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders, including subject matter experts, instructors, and other divisions within the ministry of Labour. The position must also develop and employ comprehensive consultation strategies and methods to obtain input from various stakeholders and manage the competing stakeholder interests and views in order to successfully develop and design training programs.
Salary: $2,588.03 - $3,394.66 bi-weekly; $67,547 - $88,600 annually. Closing Date: February 8, 2019. Job ID #1053158
Qualifications: University degree in a related field supplemented by a minimum of two years required related experience such as understanding of and experience working with Learning Management Systems (e.g. SharePoint, Moodle, SilkRoad), enhanced knowledge of adult education and learning theory, concepts, methodologies, and techniques etc.
Preference will be given to candidates with demonstrated experience with the following:
- Familiarity with a variety of instructional technologies: eLearning content creation software (such as Articulate Storyline or Adobe Captivate), Screencasting Technologies (such as Camtasia, Relay, etc.), and Online Webinar tools (such as Adobe Connect).
- Demonstrated project management skills and a solid understanding of project management principles, with the ability to manage multiple projects.
- Demonstrated ability to use Microsoft software, including but not limited to Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, Project and Publisher.
- An ability to employ analytical, problem solving and strategic decision-making skills regarding data from needs assessment phases and evaluations.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, particularly in terms of preparing reports, communicating client needs, presenting recommendations on possible solutions to training issues, and facilitating groups of various stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal, negotiation and conflict resolution skills to support multiple and conflicting demands at various organizational levels.
Equivalencies will be considered on the basis of 1 year of education for 1 year of experience; or 1 year of experience for 1 year of education.
Competencies are behaviors that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans, and the foundation for our talent management programs, including hiring decisions. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process. The link below will assist you with understanding competencies:
In this role, you will contribute to our team by demonstrating the following behavioral competencies:
- Agility: Ability to anticipate, assess, and readily adapt to changing priorities, maintain resilience in times of uncertainty and effectively work in a changing environment.
- Drive for Results: Knowing what outcomes are important and maximizing resources to achieve results that are aligned with the goals of the organization, while maintaining accountability to each other and external stakeholders.
- Creative Problem Solving: Ability to assess options and implications in new ways to achieve outcomes and solutions.
- Develop Networks: Proactively building networks, connecting and building trust in relationships with different stakeholders.
This position can be located in Edmonton or Calgary.
What we offer:
- Comprehensive benefits plan: http://www.chr.alberta.ca/Practitioners/DocList410.cfm
- Pension plan: http://www.mepp.ca/
- Leadership and mentorship programs
- Professional learning and development
- Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
- Accessible career consulting services
Click here for Tips for Applying on Alberta Government Jobs- http://www.psc.alberta.ca/staff/staff-resources/tips-for-applying-on-jobs.pdf
Final Candidates for this position will be asked to undergo a security screening.
This competition may be used to fill current and future vacancies at equal or lesser classifications across the Government of Alberta.
How to Apply
A cover letter is required. As written communication skills, accuracy and attention to detail are essential to this position; your cover letter will be considered as part of the screening process.
Please apply online via www.jobs.alberta.ca , as applicants who apply online will be able to track the status of this competition. Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
Note: As only one file can be uploaded, please ensure your cover letter; resume and any other related documents are submitted in one file. Please ensure that this document is saved using the naming convention of your last then first name followed by the seven-digit Job Opening ID number (Smith,Joe_1053158).
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) - http://work.alberta.ca/iqas
It is recommended that applicants include the assessment certificate from IQAS or any other educational assessment service as part of their application.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' education and experience best meets the needs of the position. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check http://www.jobs.alberta.ca for a listing of current career opportunities with the Government of Alberta.