Hey! Paper Leaf is an award-winning digital product agency located in Edmonton, AB. We design & develop innovative custom websites, web applications, and mobile applications –and we are looking to add a full-time UX/UI Designer to our current team of 17 to help us do that. We have a fun, relaxed & flexible environment; a tight-knit team where your voice is heard; a variety of challenging, rewarding, and creative work; and room for professional development. It’s a good place to be.
We work on projects for clients across the globe, and you’ll be working on a team that values high-quality execution – not one that is hellbent on burning you out and churning out as much work as possible. You can learn more about our work on the Portfolio page, our team on our About page, and get a good vibe of our culture from our Instagram feed. Sometimes mission statements are bogus, but we believe in ours: to help businesses and organizations grow through elegant execution of design and technology.
As well, we believe that diversity in all regards contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently improve Paper Leaf and the work we do. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.
The UX/UI Designer position is mainly responsible for the strategy & execution of web & mobile projects (applications and websites). This includes wireframing/prototyping; workflow mapping; visual design; design patterns/system design; client presentations; and more. You might work on some print design and general graphic design as needed too, if you have those chops (but it’s a real rarity).
Keys To Success
The UX/UI Designer needs to be involved early on, and throughout the entire process for website, web app, & mobile app projects. They frequently need to touch base with: the Operations Director in order to maintain project quality and value; the Project Manager to stay on schedule & on budget; and the project Developers for iterative collaboration to ensure decisions made at the creative level aren’t negatively impacting Development’s role in the project.
You are the type of person who:
- has at least two years of UI design experience under their belt (websites, web apps, mobile apps)
- gets as much satisfaction out of problem solving as you do visual design
- has a sense of personal responsibility & organization
- is supremely detail-oriented – you notice when a form field is misaligned by 2 pixels and it drives you bananas
- can unpack a problem and use design to solve it
- has exceptional visual design skills
- cares about the user experience (empathy FTW!) as much as how something looks
- thinks ahead to foresee project requirements
- works well in a team and communicates effectively (in both written & verbal mediums)
Your technical skills/experience:
- Sketch for interface design
- Invision or similar prototyping/design collaboration apps
- Mac OSX
- Google Apps for Business
- HTML/CSS skills (you don’t need to ship production code, but knowing the basics is a must)
- Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop rarely)
The details of the job:
- F/T position (9ish to 5ish, M-F), ideally starting late August/early Sept
- work out of our nifty downtown office
- flexibility to work from home here and there as needed
- competitive salary, dependent on experience
Your day-to-day responsibilities will include:
- workflow mapping
- information / application architecture, in collaboration with development
- web design (working in Sketch) – layout, styling, file preparation for responsive websites
- mobile design (iOS & Android apps, working in Sketch)
- web application / interface design (same deal, but for software interfaces, working in Sketch)
- client presentations (designers present their own work as applicable at progress review meetings every 2 weeks, using Invision)
- tracking time (it sucks, but it’s necessary)
- high-fiving team members when something cool happens
- and some other fun designy/business stuff.
To apply, please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Resume & Cover Letter
- Portfolio of Related Work
- Links to 2 live sites/apps you worked on, and your role in them.
This position will remain open until filled. Thanks!